Experienced Raleigh painters know how many different factors come into play when painting a house. Osborne Painting’s team has worked closely together for many years, consistently ensuring The Osborne Difference is apparent in every customer relationship. Throughout that time, the team has experienced dozens of on-the-job scenarios and has a solid understanding how many factors can go into the cost to paint a home.
While it’s essentially impossible to include every prospective pricing factor when estimating a project, there are several main factors that go into estimating the cost of a project from start-to-finish.
Cost of Interior Painting vs. Exterior Painting
- Typically, there is significantly more surface area on an interior of a house when compared to the exterior
- When painting an interior of a house, it’s important to be careful of the homeowners’ belongings such as carpeting, tables, chairs, etc. Along with that, coordinating which rooms to paint around the homeowners may very well prolong the project
- There are usually more baseboards + doors that will need to be painted when compared to exterior work
- Interior painting typically entails applying the painter with a roller instead of spraying. Applying paint via rollers is almost always more labor-intensive than spraying
Exterior Painting Preparation
At Osborne Painting, here is the typical prep process for exterior painting:
- Pressure wash entire home using a mildew-killing additive, resulting in a clean house
- Place drop cloths in and around all areas needed to keep the area as clean as possible
- Caulk entire home in order to seal all cracks and prevent future cracks
- Scrape and sand all loose paint
- Spot prime any bare wood (if any)
- Paint one or two coats (depending on project) on all trim, doors, windows, shutters, and screen porch using an exterior latex semi-gloss paint
- Apply finish paint (could be one coat or two, depending on project)on all siding areas using an exterior latex satin paint
Interior Painting Preparation
Along with the prep process for interior painting, here is the process for interior painting:
- Secure all furniture and floors with plastic and drop cloths for protection
- Spackle all imperfections on ceilings and walls
- Caulk all cracks in trim (if any)
- Scrub and sand all walls, ceilings, and trim
- Paint one coat on ceilings throughout the home using interior latex flat paint
- Paint two coats on all walls (including closets) throughout the home, using interior latex flat paint
- Paint one or two coats (depending on the project) on all trim throughout the house using an interior latex semi-gloss
Interior Painting Notes:
- Because interior painting projects are typically done in one room or one area at a time, it’s important to coordinate which areas are being worked on with the homeowner
- The quality of the brush and rollers used really matter… a lot. Many experienced painters consider the brush used just as the paint.
- Interior painting typically entails applying the paint with brush and roller instead of spraying.
- Applying paint via brush and rollers is almost always more labor-intensive than spraying
- There are typically more doors and more pieces of trim that will need to be painted when compared to exterior work
- When painting an interior of a house, it’s important to be careful of the homeowners’ belongings such as carpeting, furniture, curtains, etc. Because the homeowners are living in the home, coordinating which rooms to paint, while accommodating the homeowners may very well prolong the project as opposed to painting everything at once.
Factors That Would Increase the Cost to Paint Your Raleigh Home
- A considerable amount of prep work and surface repairs (wood repairs, brick and mortar repairs, sealant issues)
- Scraping off and painting over cheap builders paints
- There are areas of your house that need to be accessed while on the roof
- You can an uneven ground, resulting in difficult ladder placements
- There are stripes or other design details that take longer than more basic designs
- You have obstacles around your house (trees, ivy, decorations)
What kind of condition is your house in? Here are some factors to take note of:
- Unsatisfactory areas of paint that are faded, discolored, brighten, flaking or peeling.
- Small or large surface cracks
- Missing or loose mortar joints around bricks
- Blemishes of hollow or loose render, tyrolean or pebbledash
- Mold, green algae, and mildew growing on the walls.
- Powdery paint that is past its lifespan.
The last factor that affects the cost of painting a house is the paint itself. Different brands come in at different price points.
As far as interior paint is concerned, we use the following:
- Sherwin Williams Cashmere
- Benjamin Moore Signature Select
When it comes to exterior paint, we use the following:
- Sherwin Williams Durations
- Sherwin Williams Resilience
- Benjamin Moore More Guard
- Benjamin Moore More Glow
- Sherwin Williams Pro Mar 200
How Much Will It Cost to Paint Your Raleigh Home?
In conclusion, there are many factors associated with estimating the cost of a project. While many homeowners invest in landscaping, stone walkways, and patio additions, others opt to prioritize their home’s exterior paint condition first, and for good reason. Ensuring your home’s paint condition is maintained and not fallen by the waste side will make things easier in the long run.
Generally speaking, homeowners have their homes repainted every 7-10 years. As you could imagine, the longer you wait to have your home repainted, the more maintenance it will likely need. Whether your home is built using wood or stone, expect to deal with additional maintenance on top of the actual paint such as rotten wood or corroding stone or mortar.
When you choose Osborne Painting for as your painting contractor in Raleigh, Cary, Durham, or Chapel Hill, for any of your interior or exterior painting, refinishing or restoration needs, we guarantee you’ll receive the best service possible — we like to refer to it as “The Osborne Painting Difference.”